This recipe was created a couple hours ago mainly because I had some left over roasted beets from last night and I wanted to create something new from them. Thankfully, I had some great fresh ingredients to create this wonderfully balanced salad! Beets are an incredible vegetable, sweet, earthy, hearty, fibrous, and packed with essential nutrients like iron and potassium. Since the beets contribute sweetness I wanted to add a bitter, sour, fresh, and creamy element to the salad to make it well balanced. So, I used arugula as the base of the salad to add a little peppery/bitter taste, radishes for texture and slightly bitter taste, lemon juice for the sour element, mint leaves for freshness, and feta cheese for creaminess. One thing that I would have liked to have added but unfortunately did not have in my pantry was walnuts (next time).
So overall I was so happy with this impulsive lunch that I just had to share it, hope you all enjoy :)
-Good source of: Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Iron, Potassium, Calcium, Omega 3 Fatty Acids, Dietary Fiber, Protein, Folate, Riboflavin, Magnesium, Phytochemicals, Vitamin D.
-Very low in calories about 105 calories per serving, packed with nutrients, making this salad very nutrient dense!
Time: 10 minutes
1 cup fresh Arugula
2 roasted Beets (w/ salt, pepper, olive oil)
1/4 cup fat free Feta Cheese
6-8 fresh Mint leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and Pepper
How To Make It:
Roasted Beets- Since I roasted the beets last night I didn't get a chance to take any pictures of the process, but it is very simple!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farhenheit using the Convection Roast (if applicable)
2. Wash and scrub the beets thoroughly! and cut off both ends.
3. Cut each beet in half and place on a baking sheet with foil. Add salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil enough to coat each beet (but not too much!) approximately one tablespoon total.
4. Roast the beets for about 20-25 minutes flipping them over halfway through cooking time.
5. Enjoy some now and refrigerate the rest to make this delicious salad.
1. Add one cup of Arugula to a salad bowl
2. Slice the mint leaves like you would Basil, folding all of the leaves and then slices to get long and thin slices, add to the arugula.
3. Thinly slice the beets about 1/2 inch in thickness and add to the salad mixture.
4. Wash and trim the radishes and then slice then thinly, add to the salad mixture.
5. Make the Dressing: Juice of one lemon mixed with 1 tablespoon of olive oil whisked together. Add the dressing to the salad
6. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper to the salad and mix
7. Lastly add about 1/4 cup of feta cheese and enjoy :)