This is my take on a traditional Arabic breakfast! This breakfast provides a well rounded meal to satisfy you through the day. Fava beans add a great source of plant based proteins, olives and olive oil add a good of source "good" fats, and the meal is eaten with whole wheat pita bread to satisfy all three macronutrients. There are also a great deal of fresh herbs, vegetables, and the pomegranate seeds a great fruit source while providing high antioxidant content. The main star of this meal is the Fool Mdammas which is a fresh and lemony breakfast item made with tender fava beans and typically eaten with pita bread. The rest of the food items are supplementary and add to make this a complete meal!
In addition to the Fool I included Kalamata olives, pomegranate seeds, Jordanian Zaatar, Syrian cheese with fresh arugula and tarragon leaves, and Labni with dried mint and olive oil.
What You Need:
(Fool Mdammas): 1 can Fava Beans, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 white or yellow onion, 2 roma tomatoes, 1/2 cup Italian parsley, 1-2 garlic cloves (depending on size and how much you like garlic :)), 1 lemon, salt.
(Labni): Kefir Cheese Spread (Labni), 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon dried mint leaves, salt.
(Cheese Plate): You can use your favorite cheese here, (I used a mild Syrian cheese made with cows milk and retains moisture), Arugula, pomegranate seeds, tarragon leaves.
How To Make It:
1. Boil the fava beans with the water and add more water to cover the beans. Bring these to a boil and then set aside.
2. Squeeze the juice of one lemon and add it to the serving bowl. Then, using a garlic smasher, press in one clove of garlic to the lemon juice.
3. Now we can started on chopping those vegetables, tomatoes, onions, and parsley. All of these need to be chopped very small, I provided a step by step picture of how I cut the tomatoes to get them small without smashing them.
4. Add the tomatoes and onions to the lemon and garlic and add 1 teaspoon of salt.
5. Add the DRAINED fava beans to the mixture.
6. Finally add the chopped parsley and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
7. The Fool Mdammas is now ready to be served!
Lebni (this one is reeeeally easy)
1. Spread enough Lebni on the plate using a spoon to create a well between the outsides and center. Top with 1 teaspoon of dried mint, and an olive for garnish.
2. Add about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the well portion of the lebni.
3. Now the Labni is ready to be served!
1. Slice up your favorite cheese into 1 inch thick pieces.
2. Place fresh arugula and Tarragon on the bottom of the plate.
3. Add the sliced cheese to the center of the plate and add terragon and pomegranate seeds for garnish.
Plate your Olives, Zaatar, and Pomegranate Seeds!
Lastly, Heat up some good pita bread!
And that's it! now just put everything on the table and enjoy your yummy and nutritious Arabic Style Breakfast :)