This eggtastic breakfast will leave feeling satisfied, light & healthy! I was inspired to make this when I bought these beautiful fresh organic eggs, and I really wanted to make something that would showcase the eggs so I thought what better way than to poach them. Poaching an egg is a great way to cook the egg while still keeping the yolk runny, aka tasty. There is a technique to it, but it is very easy to learn, I will share with you all of my tips for poaching an egg! I paired this perfectly poached egg with cooked spinach and scallions and fresh tomatoes, then I topped it with fresh black pepper and that is all! Simple and delicious :)
Tips on poaching an egg:
1. Use fresh eggs
2. Add white vinegar to the simmering water, NO salt
3. Your water should be simmering not boiling
4. Create a whirlpool in the pot so that the white wraps around the yolk
5. First crack the egg in a measuring cup, and gently add the egg white first and the yolk last when poaching.
6. Cook for about 3 minutes
Eggs are a great source of protein, I like to switch it up using just the egg whites sometimes and other times using the full egg. The yolk does have some cholesterol, but it also has biotin, more protein, and fats so it is smart to keep a balance! Spinach has vitamin K, iron, and calcium, and the tomatoes have the phytochemical Lycopene that helps to protect your body from harmful pathogens and so on. You can pair this dish with a side of whole grain bread, or a serving of fruit for a balanced meal!
- Fresh Eggs
- 1 cup of fresh spinach
-1/2 a tomato
-2 scallions/green onions
-Olive oil or canola oil spray
-1 tablespoon white vinegar
How To Make It:
1. Wash the green onions, tomato, and spinach if it hasn't already been rinsed.
2. Spray your non stick spray (I used olive oil) on the bottom of the pan and add the scallions.
3. Add the spinach and let that cook for 2 minutes.
4. Fill a saucepan up about 2/3 of the way with water, add the vinegar and bring to a gentle boil.
5. Once your water starts to boil turn it down a little bit and begin to stir with a spoon creating a whirlpool in the center.
6. Crack your egg into a cup that is easy to pour out of.
7. Gently add the egg into the center of the whirlpool, adding the white part first and the yolk last
8. You should see the white wrapping itself around the yolk.
9. Cook the egg for about 3 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon and place it on a paper towel to remove the poaching water/vinegar.
10. Chop up the tomato and add on top of the warm spinach mixture.
11. Finally, add the egg and a lot of black pepper on top and enjoy!